Wednesday 28 March 2012

Six days and counting

6 working days left until I leave to start my trip to Asia.

Today, I have ensured that I have a good supply of business cards to take with me. There is a formal protocol surrounding the giving and receiving of business cards in Asian cultures which must be followed in order not to cause offence.

I learnt all about this on a recent visit to Hong Kong.  Although it was a short visit lasting 5 days, I managed to run out of cards, (although I brought plenty of other cards home with me!) much to the amusement of my colleagues from the University of Hong Kong (HKU).  In order to ensure that I did not offend people I was meeting for the first time, my colleagues from HKU kept returning cards I had given to them earlier so that I could reuse them.  I can't begin to tell you how stressful and embarrassing it felt, so, no chance of a repeat this time!

1 comment:

  1. Would you mind if I quote a couple of your blogposts as long
    as I provide credit and sources back to your blog: http://www.blogger.com/comment.g?postID=6274504090172789970&blogID=8049505980410604410. I will aslo be certain to give you the appropriate anchor text hyperlink using your webpage title: Blogger: Exploring Learning Spaces and Libraries
    in Asia. Be sure to let me know if this is ok with you.
    Thanks

    Also visit my page Ace no more review blog (http://acnenomorereviewblog.com)

    ReplyDelete